Everyone loves tortillas but fresh tortillas are truly magical😋 Most tortillas you buy at the grocery store are loaded with preservatives so they will last for years..
Making (naturally gluten free) Corn Tortillas at home is much easier than you think! All you need is fresh masa or masa harina (easier to find). They are best enjoyed the day you cook them!
Recipe for Fresh Tortillas
- 1 3/4 cups (or 9.5 ounces) masa harina (I used the Maseca brand)
- 1 cup warm water plus 2 Tbsp
- 2 Tbsp water at room temperature
- Use wooden spoon, mix masa harina and 1 cup plus 2 Tbsp warm water in a large mixing bowl. Cover and let rest for 30 minutes.
- Begin working the masa harina and water mixture with your hands. Add 2 more Tbsp of cool water (one at a time) for the dough to reach an ideal texture, where it is still soft without being sticky (similar to Play-Doh). If, for some reason, it is dry (looks like it is cracked), add a little more water. Or if it is too wet (or sticky), let it sit on the kitchen counter uncovered for it to dry out for a little bit or add more masa.
- Divide the dough into 15 equal pieces (approx 1.4 ounces each) for 6” corn tortillas. Cover the dough with a clean kitchen towel.
- Cut each side of a Ziploc bag to make it a large rectangular piece. Lay it on the tortilla press, making sure it covers both the upper and bottom parts of the press. Or use a pie dish to press the dough
- Press dough gently then place on sheet pan (keep covered with towel)
- Heat skillet to medium/hot temperature. The pan should be hot enough so when you splash a little bit of water on pan the water dances around before evaporating
- Place a tortilla on the skillet and let it cook for 15 seconds. At first it will stick, but then, if your temperature is hot enough, it will come off easily for you to flip it. Let it cook for another 30-45 seconds or until it is lightly browned.
- As tortillas are cooked, transfer them in a basket cloth lined with a towel. Allow them to continue cooking with the steam (from their own heat) inside the basket for at least 10 more minutes before serving.
Join my bi-monthly dose for all things well-fed and well-lived.
Enjoy recipes & inspiration for eating, living & feeling WELL through REAL nourishment.