Optimal Nutrition through Activated Nuts
Activated nuts and seeds can provide a delicious, nutritious, and easily digestible source of plant-based protein that can be used in a variety of recipes. If you’re someone who loves nuts but struggles with digestion issues or simply wants to boost your nutrition, consider giving activation a try. With a few simple steps, you can unlock the hidden magic of nuts and seeds and take your snacking game to a whole new level!
Here’s how you can do activate your nuts at home:
- Add nuts or seeds to large bowl
- Add 1 tablespoon Himalayan salt to 1 pound of nuts. So if you're soaking 5 pounds of almonds use 5 Tablespoons of salt
- Add enough cold water to cover the nuts with 2-3 inches of water above the nuts. The nuts will soak up a lot of the water
- Soak your nuts or seeds in salt water bath for at least 8 hours*, or overnight
- Drain and rinse your nuts or seeds thoroughly
- Spread them out evenly on a baking sheet and dehydrate them at 115 to 150°F (or the lowest setting your oven will go) for 12-24 hours, or until they are crisp and dry.
- Store your activated nuts and seeds in an airtight container in a cool, dry place, and enjoy them however you like!
*When activating cashews you only want to soak for 6 hours. Longer will make them slimy & create affect the taste.
Don't want to do it at home? Visit my online shop Wizardly Foods. I carry a variety of activated nuts and seeds.
Join my bi-monthly dose for all things well-fed and well-lived.
Enjoy recipes & inspiration for eating, living & feeling WELL through REAL nourishment.